Tuesday 3 June 2014

Vogue 8648

This pattern has potential, BUT it has its problems. Read on to find out why I am displeased....

Pattern Used: Vogue 8648 (Vogue Easy Options Line)

Pattern Details: Princess seaming, waistband cut on the bias, circle skirt

Fabric Used: Gingham with broadcloth lining (for something like this, with both bias and straight grain pieces, I thought something with stripes or other clearly defined pattern would be good.)

View Made: F

Did it look like the picture? Yes.

What did you especially like about the pattern? I like the options, it really sparked my creativity because you can play with fabric choice and colour all on the same dress (even if I didn't for this particular one). And the circle skirt! So much fun with little bulk at the waist and so twirly!

What did you especially dislike about the pattern? THOSE SLEEVES! They suck. Because of the princess seaming and dress design, you cut the piece that goes over your shoulder on the bias. The bias then STRETCHES as you handle the garment making the neckline wonky and the armhole not fit. And sewing the sleeves in two pieces? Who does that and WHY? I had SO MUCH trouble getting the sleeves to sit without tucks etc, I ended up having to take in the shoulder seam a bit and it still was a fight. I ended up giving up and they don’t look too bad, but it was really frustrating. ALSO, again since that piece is cut on the bias, there is no give in the armhole (if you cut an armhole on the straight grain, the fabric is usually on the bias where it counts, like under the arm). It can really restrict movement of your arm. BAH! I am displeased.

Did you change the pattern at all? I added in-side-seam pockets. I add them to most of my projects for convenience’s sake.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. Vogue is good at instructions in general.

What this pattern taught me: DON'T aggressively iron bias cut pieces. They will stretch, and I will be unhappy with them.

Final thoughts: After all the problems I had with the neckline and sleeves (In order to make the sleeves sit on my shoulders, I have to pull the dress down, making it quite busty) I don’t think this one is on my list of make-again-soon patterns, although it DOES inspire my creativity.


Pictures:
Front View

Close up of the bias-cut waistband

Back view (With complimentary neckline wonkiness)

No comments:

Post a Comment