Friday 6 June 2014

Simplicity 1800

Fabricland was getting rid of all their Simplicity patterns lately, so I bought a few. Here's another Simplicity review for your enjoyment!

Pattern Used: Simplicity 1800 (Amazing Fit line)

Pattern Details: Fitted, lined bodice, princess seams and sleeve variations

Fabric used: Embroidered, scalloped edge cotton plaid and broadcloth lining

View Made: A

Did it look like the picture? Yes.

What did you especially like about the pattern? The neckline drew me to this, as well as the sleeve options. Most summer dresses have thin straps at best.

What did you especially dislike about this pattern? The 1 inch seam allowances on the sides. I felt they were excessively large and difficult because my sewing machine seam allowance markings stop at 5/8". I understand that they were there to help with fitting, but I didn't have to alter them in the end, making the excess unnecessary.

Did you change the pattern at all? I added lining to the skirt, again so I don't have to worry about a slip or anything. I also skipped all the "muslin making" steps (explained below) and went right to sewing it together the right way.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Meh. Because it is an "Amazing fit" pattern, they get you to sew everything together with WRONG sides together (basically making your good fabric into a muslin) then mark any adjustments (luckily and annoyingly I had none). After that, they get you to rip apart everything you just did and sew it the right way, taking in to account your markings. I found this quite hard to follow in the instructions and had to read the whole thing through a couple of times before I understood that I was making a muslin.

Final Thoughts: This dress does fit very well and is quite comfortable. For whatever reason (probably fabric choice) the zipper could've gone in better, but that's a minor problem.

Things this pattern taught me: READ the instructions. Even though I've sewn many a dress, I still ended up having to rip things out because I assumed I knew what the next step would be and I was wrong. (AHEM, sleeve facings...)


Pictures:



No comments:

Post a Comment