Tuesday 10 June 2014

McCall's 6696

I was in the fabric store the other day and stumbled across a bargain-basement type fabric that caught my eye. I felt that it had potential so off I went to the pattern counter to find something that I could use it for. This is the result.

Pattern Used: McCall's 6696

Pattern Details: Shirt-dress with skirt and sleeve variations and pockets. This pattern also has variations for bra-cup size, A/B, C and D options.

Fabric Used: Light-weight denim/canvas

View Made: B

What did you especially like about this pattern? It's a classic, and it was SUPER easy to make. I like the waistband (Usually shirt dresses have a belt or tie rather than an actual waistband) and the pockets! I love it when I don't have to put in my own pockets.

What did you especially dislike about the pattern? Not a whole lot. There were a couple of typos in the instructions (ie saying something applies to view C even though it is clearly an instruction for view B), and putting in the collar maybe I was reading the instructions wrong, but they never actually TELL you to sandwich the collar in between the collar band and collar band facing.

Did you change the pattern at all? Nope nope nope. Oh, except for topstitching. In spite of this being a SHIRTDRESS, there are no actual instructions to topstitch, so I added topstitching in a few different places:
  • Waistband
  • Edge of the collar
  • Front band
  • Double row of stitching on hems
  • Back yoke and shoulder seams
This pattern calls for a lot of slipstitching. I dislike slipstitching. I find it time-consuming and annoying, so I skipped that on this pattern and topstitched instead. :P

Things this pattern taught me: No new techniques were learned on this project.

Final thoughts: I like how this turned out. The fabric suits the pattern, and finally I didn't have to line something to make it wearable. The wooden buttons are a cute vintage-y touch too. I also have fabric to make this dress again in the near future, so look for an update soon! It was super easy and quick, and fits really well, so I will definitely make it again!

Pictures:
Front View
 

 

Back View (With gathering between the shoulders)
 
Close up of some of the fabric and topstitching





No comments:

Post a Comment