Tuesday 17 June 2014

Vogue 8882

Ok, so this was a pattern entirely determined by fabric. I loved the fabric in the store and so then went and found an appropriate pattern to use it. This is what I came up with.

Pattern used: Vogue 8882 (Vogue Easy Options line)
Pattern details: Pleated skirt with waistband, with hem and waistband variations.
Fabric used: POLKA DOT CHIFFON! Lined with Heritage quilting cotton (this has a bit more of a linen-y texture than broadcloth) 
View made: Franken-pattern combination of A and E.
What did you especially like about this pattern? By far the asymmetrical hem.
What did you especially dislike about this pattern? This is more of a body-shape thing, but in order to not gape horribly at the waist, I have to wear this skirt well above my belly button. I THINK this is how the pattern is designed to be worn, since I don't have any length issues with it. Also, the waistband is really wide, also leading me to have to wear it at an odd height.
Did you change the pattern at all? YES. My version is a complete franken-pattern. I basically made view A with a chiffon overlay of view E, or if you want to think about it the other way, I made view E with a lining of view A.
An itemized list of my changes:
    --I sewed the waistband of views A and E together (one on top of the other, then basted around the edge) and treated it as one piece.
    --I hemmed view A instead of interfacing a band to sew to the hem and then slipstitch in place
    --I sewed View A as I would for a lining (the seams and hem face OUT instead of in towards the body)
    --I hemmed the opening for the zipper in the chiffon and only sewed the zipper to the quilting cotton
I think that's all...
Things this pattern taught me: French seams. I did French seams on all of the chiffon seams because of the asymmetrical hemline. Since the chiffon frays really easily, they turned out a little furry, with little threads poking out of the right side of the seam, but that's my own fault for not trimming the seam before I enclosed it.
Final thoughts: In spite of all my tinkering the pattern turned out really well, and so Twirly!
Pictures:

Front View

Back View

No comments:

Post a Comment