Friday 20 June 2014

Simplicity 2447

This pattern was a bit of a disappointment. So much potential wasted.

Pattern Used: Simplicity 2447

Pattern Details: Button-down shirt with length, sleeve and neckline variations

Fabric used: Dotted Swiss

View Made: View A with the sleeves from View B

What did you especially like about this pattern? The bias insert at the bust. It has so much potential, especially when working with stripes or plaids.

What did you especially dislike about the pattern? The sizing. I made my usual size 12 which fits me perfectly for every other pattern that I've made, but I'm SWIMMING in this shirt. The sleeves are huge, there is no waist to the shirt and it almost comes to my knees. So sad. I tried wearing it with a belt, which slightly improved the look, but not a lot. I love the fabric of this shirt, so it was especially disappointing when it turned out so mammothly huge.

Did you change the pattern at all? I used the sleeves from view B and put them on view A because I didn't want long sleeves.

What did you learn from this pattern? The sadness of a garment made too large. My arms look like twigs coming out of the gigantor sleeves.

Final thoughts: I could fix this, I'm sure, by taking in the sleeves and sides, but I haven't looked at this shirt in a while since it makes me kinda sad. And fixing it takes effort. Once I'm done and all the edges of a project are finished, I like it to be FINISHED and not have to worry about it again.

Pictures:
Front View (This dress form has my measurements dialled in to it, so I hope it adequately illustrates how LARGE this top turned out)

Front again

Fabric close-up

No comments:

Post a Comment