Saturday 2 August 2014

Vogue 8470 Revisited

So I did say that this pattern was on my list to make again. I finally got around to it, and I am very pleased with the results.

Since I've already made this pattern, I won't review it again. If you want to read the full review, you can do it here.

I really like how this turned out. I used a really lightweight, white, embroidered fabric for the top, and a cotton-candy pink broadcloth underneath. The white softens the pink of the broadcloth, and the pink gives a little colour to the white fabric on top. It's a nice balance.

I didn't have any problems with this pattern, really. The only things that were problematic were the ruffle and the halter top itself, a little bit. For the ruffle, I couldn't figure out the markings. You'd think, with all the sewing I do, that wouldn't be a problem, but after fiddling with the ruffle for about an hour, I laid the skirt out flat on the floor, and adjusted the ruffle to fit evenly around the skirt, disregarding seam matching (GASP!). I figured the ruffle itself would disguise that the seams don't match up. However, I DID match the back skirt seam to one of the ruffle seams. AND, since the fabric was so light-weight, I kept sewing bits of the skirt in to the ruffle seam, and then had to rip it out. At least you hem the ruffle before putting it on, so that means less circle-skirt hemming.

For the halter top, I don't really understand what Vogue is trying to teach me by having me construct the complete bodice in lining and good fabric, and then attaching the two around the edge. If I ever make this again (which I might), I'll put together the halter pieces with their lining, then sew those to the midriff piece, then attach the lining over the back. I think that method would give me more control over the look, placement and fit of the halter pieces, even if it is a bit more fiddly to attach the midriff lining after.

Finally, since this is a halter dress, I had to take in the back at the zipper, a little bit, just to make sure the back was snug.

Final thoughts: RUFFLES!!!

Pictures:


Front View

Back View

Close-up of Fabric Combo

RUFFLES!

No comments:

Post a Comment