Friday 8 August 2014

McCall's 6696 Revisited

Recently, I made another "copy" of a dress that I made back in June. I really liked the original and had fabric and buttons for another one.

I made another shirt-dress from McCall's 6696. For the original review, click here.

I have no really new information to add on this pattern, other than I've decided to stop pressing the edges of pieces up before I sew them. If you sew them first, then pin it in place, you can press the edge evenly along the seamline, covering all that you need to, as well as making the inside look nearly as neat as the outside. (I'm talking about the waistband here, where you are supposed to press up one edge at 5/8", then sew it over your interfaced waistband and skirt, then slipstitch it down.)

As per usual I didn't slipstitch anything on this pattern, instead I did a lot of edge and topstitching, hence the new technique for pieces that should be slip-stitched.

A note about this fabric. I really love the way this fabric looks and feels. I'm pretty sure it's a poly-cotton blend, that's heavy on the poly. It was quite hard to work with, however. Because it is so light, it tucks like nobody's business and it frays really badly. I ended up finishing all my inside seams with a zig-zag stitch. It was also kind of hard to hem, because of the tuck-ey-ness. In the end, I think the result is worth it. It's almost a vintage look. :)

Pictures:

Front View

Back View

Close-up of topstitching and fabric. Notice the white striation to the fabric.

Edgestitching along the button strip.

No comments:

Post a Comment