Sunday 21 September 2014

Butterick 5682

JEANS! SQUEE!!! Hopefully, you can all see my excitement. These turned out SUPERBLY and I think everyone need to go get this pattern RIGHT NOW!

Pattern Used: Butterick 5682

Fabric Used: Cotton Twill (just a smidge lighter weight than denim)
          NOTE: I used upholstery thread for these, to give it that real, authentic jeans look

Pattern Details: Jeans, in various leg styles, including cropped, straight leg, boot cut and trouser

What did you especially like about this pattern? The various leg styles

What did you especially dislike about this pattern? I only have a couple of small quibbles with this pattern.
          1. Please, stop printing curves one over top of the other on the pattern tissue. I had to repair mine after I cut the curve for the size 8 instead of the size 12. Or if they won't stop doing that, LABEL the lines on both sides of where the curve intersects.
         2. Please tell me where it is not essential that I use denim, so that I can reduce bulk. Thank you. My machine thanks you too. It doesn't like making those horrible chugging noises either.
        3. Don't tell me to buy a seven inch zipper and then have me shorten it. That was really annoying, considering that I bought a METAL JEANS ZIPPER. In reality, I only needed a three and a half inch zipper, so it would've been nice to know that I could just buy that size.

Did you change the pattern at all? Nope. Except, I tried to use some quilting cotton to face the waistband, but for whatever reason, I cut it the wrong way and so had to revert to denim. This pattern is a little persnickety and broke my brain a little bit. You have to be really careful to know which way stuff is going to end up facing so that you can have the right side facing out.

What did you learn from this pattern? Flat-felling seams. This is the classic way that jeans are sewn, and I found out that I kind of suck at doing it. Good thing all my flat-felling is to the inside. The outside just looks nicely topstitched.

Final thoughts: I will make this pattern over and over and over and never buy cruddy store-bought jeans again! They fit so well! And they really weren't even that hard to make. :)

Pictures:







No comments:

Post a Comment