Thursday 2 October 2014

McCall's 6800

I've been branching out from dresses lately and decided that maybe it was time to try a coat. I love the look of this coat.

Pattern Used: McCall's 6800

Fabric Used: Cotton Twill, lined with Satin

Pattern Details: Tailored coat with length and collar variations, princess seaming

View Made: C, with the hood from D

What did you like about this pattern? I really like the look of the princess seaming, as well as the fullness of the skirt on the coat. It gives this a really unique look.

What did you dislike about this pattern? I wasn't a huge fan of the circle skirt hemming. I wasn't supposed to do a narrow hem, which is what is easiest with a circle skirt, so I tried to do a wider hem and it did not turn out that well. I will probably end up re-hemming this coat at some point since it bothers me so much. Also, it was A LOT of work. Each part was three pieces, which had to be sewn together, finished on the inside and topstitched. The end result is pretty spectacular, but a lot of work.

Did you change the pattern at all? No. All I did was remove the belt carriers and add the hood from D.

Final Thoughts: I have the fabric to make this coat again, with plaid. I'm really excited about it, but this pattern was intense enough that I'm going to have to make some simple things for a while to give myself a break. It looks really cool though! OH! And, the hood is too big. When I make this again, I'll need to take out a bit of the fabric on the curve of the hood so it doesn't droop down over my eyes.

Pictures:





No comments:

Post a Comment