Tuesday 27 May 2014

Simplicity 2886

This is the last of my Simplicity reviews for now. I've had this pattern for a while, so I've actually made three versions of this dress, in two different views. I'll start with the review of View C (which I've made two of), and then review View A later on in the post. 

Pattern used: Simplicity 2886

Pattern details: Fitted bodice, pleated skirt and pockets

Fabric used: Textured cotton with broadcloth lining 

View made: C

Did it look like the picture? Yes

What did you especially like about the pattern? I liked the hem-band. (Hemming is a least-favourite task). Plus, I loved the contrasts. It's one of the first dresses I've made that actually HAS contrasts.

What did you especially dislike about the pattern? There seems to  be a little bit of a drafting problem for the bodice. Both times I made this (I've made it twice to date) the front of the bodice sticks up past the zipper by about a half inch, even with the waist seam perfectly lined up and the zipper installed correctly. I would recommend to anyone making this pattern, sew the bodice front a little bit narrower between the waistband and bodice front band so that everything lines up correctly. This particular flaw frustrates me every time I sew this pattern. A smaller problem is the bulk of the ties getting in the way of putting in the zipper. It's a lot of layers to sew through. 

Did you change the pattern at all? I added skirt lining.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Mmm Hmm.

Final thoughts: It's a cute easy little summer dress with pockets.

Things this pattern taught me: I didn't encounter any new techniques on this project, so nothing...

Pictures:


A cute bow on the back

Front View

A closeup of the texture of the cotton

This picture's a little blurry, but I'm not so good at taking pictures with my phone.

This is made of different fabrics. It's got a knit fabric as the contrast, with the actual dress made of an organza-type fabric.

I made this at the request of a co-worker. I hope she likes it!



Other than the different cut of this view, all the same things apply from my review of View C. However, the zipper on this view is easy to put in because the side seam doesn't have the added bulk of the ties. 

View Made: A

Fabric Used: Embroidered, scalloped edge cotton.

Pictures:

Back view

Front View


                                   Close ups of embroidery








1 comment:

  1. I love the style of that blue dress you made for you co-worker. :)

    ReplyDelete