Tuesday 1 July 2014

Butterick 6049

Ok. I love how this dress looks on the model. I obviously do not have the model's figure as I had MAJOR fit problems with this dress. Read on to find out why.

Pattern used: Butterick 6049

Patten Details: Fitted, halter top bodice, circle skirt and pockets.

Fabric used: Red and white polka dot quilting cotton and white broadcloth

What did you especially like about this pattern? The halter top. I've never made and very seldom wear halter tops.

What did you especially dislike about the pattern? The fit after I sewed it all up. I made my customary size 12, but it only half fit. The waist fit perfectly, but the bodice was designed for someone with a much bigger bust than me. The back gaped about three inches (which I ended up taking out at the zipper) and the halter top ends were much too long. I ended up overlapping them by about two inches. The dress now fits decently, but still not perfectly. It also has a rumple-y waist, that I don't think I can fix. There just seems to be a little too much fabric under the bust. Also, when attaching the halter pieces to the midriff, it was almost impossible to get the two white points to line up correctly. I gave up after about five tries, but they are still slightly off-kilter.

Did you change the pattern at all? Nope, except for the above-mentioned alterations

Did you learn anything from this pattern? Nope. Except that it reinforced that I DISLIKE slipstitching.

Final thoughts: I really wanted to like this dress. It's so cute in the pictures. But I don't really. It looks nice NOW but it was a hassle to alter it. Especially because I took it in to fit my dress form, and it STILL had extra fabric in the bust area. I'll wear it, because it does look nice now, but I'll need some time to get over how much extra work I had to put in to it.

Pictures:

Front view

 

Back View
 
Also, I'll be taking a small hiatus from posting for a while. Keep checking back, hopefully I'll be posting again in a couple of weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Your finished dress looks beautiful. I made this dress for my daughter and I also had major fitting issues with it. My daughter is quite a bit bustier than the pattern model and I ended up with quite a bit of gaping under the arms. I altered the pattern but still had to put in darts. This was one project that I am really glad is behind me!

    ReplyDelete